Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Moment of Truth

Ok, well not quite. The plane doesn't leave for another 3 1/2 hours, but in about 5 minutes, we leave the house. I guess there's multiple moments of truth. Leaving the house; boarding the plane; disembarking from the plane onto new soil; trying to communicate for the first time; ....
I'm excited and way wound-up, which is not what I need for a 9 hour plane ride. I'm fully equipped though. I've been checking and rechecking my travel lists for two days now. I've got everything I could possibly need, and enough travel sizes to make Palahniuk giggle. And it all fits into one backpack and one dufflebag.
As I pack and run around, typically forgetting everything I'm doing, I keep having little mini-revelations: I am leaving the country. I mean, I can rationalize it to death, but somehow it still has weight. People are still people, land is still land, buildings will stand and gravity will operate. This ain't no big thang. But still somehow it is.

The door across the hall opens: time to go.
I am so ready for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home